Growing Swizzle Series™ Zinnia Garden Seeds
- Taxonomy: Zinnia grandiflora
- Flower Seed Type: Annual
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: For best results, sow indoors one month before the final frost date then transplant when there are multiple sets of true leaves, or leave in basket or pot for indoor use. For outdoor sowing, plant immediately after final frost date.
- Days to Maturity: 54 - 70 days
- Hardiness Zone: 6 - 11
- Seed Planting Depth: ¼”
- Zinnia Plant Spacing: 8 - 10"
- Growth Habit: 10 – 12” dwarf shrub with a 6 - 8" spread and a large 4” bloom
- Soil Preference: Normal, loamy, well-drained
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Diseases/Pests/Troubleshooting: As a dwarf flower plant, Swizzle Series zinnia will compete with more upright plants for sunlight. Also, this variety is most suitable for grow zones 6 – 11, which will leave some northern gardens having to look elsewhere for exotic color. Susceptible to powdery mildew and other leaf diseases. Since they are a dwarf variety, plant far enough apart to allow proper airflow to avoid mildew and mold.
- Flower Color: Ivory & Cherry, Scarlet & Yellow
Seeds Per Package:
- 1/4 oz - Approximately 977 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 3,906 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 15,624 Seeds
Swizzle Series is a hybrid variety of the Zinnia grandiflora created by Kansas State University Research and Extension. University Horticulturists developed and tested the short Zinnia Swizzle Series for two years: measuring the plant's vigor, floriferousness (ability to produce many flowers), and visual impact against the challenging prairie climate. Each year, researchers from KSU introduce dozens of plant hybrids to the public just as vigorous and rewarding as the Swizzle Series. The Ivory and Cherry, and Scarlet and Yellow are very vibrant popular colors of this short dwarf Zinnia flower garden seed.