Growing Zowie! Yellow Flame F1 Zinnia Garden Seeds
- Taxonomy: Zinnia elegans
- Seed Type: Annual
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Both, but commit to either one or the other since zinnias grow heartily from seed. However, when growing zinnias indoors, consider the type and maximum height for your plants, since dwarf varieties may be more suitable for indoors than the State Fair Mix.
- Days to Maturity: 54 - 70 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3 - 10
- Planting Depth: ¼”
- Plant Spacing: 24"
- Growth Habit: 24 – 29” tall shrub with 18 - 24" spread
- Soil Preference: Warm, moist, rich, well-drained
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Diseases/Pests/Troubleshooting: Cannot tolerate cold temperatures but, otherwise, very durable. Susceptible to powdery mildew, fungal spots, and aphids.
- Color: Sunburst orange petals with vibrant scarlets and pinks at the base
Whether planting your Zowie! Yellow Flame zinnia seeds indoors or out, be sure to sow after the last frost in your region has passed. Zowie! Yellow Flame seeds require warm, rich, and well-drained garden with full sunlight. Once your garden is prepared, sow your Zowie! Yellow Flame zinnia seeds ¼" deep and 24 inches separation. Zowie! Yellow Flame can withstand a 60 degree minimum at night, but thrives between 75 – 85 during the day. Zowie! Yellow Flame zinnia seeds mature in 54 - 70 days as 24 – 29” tall shrubs with a 18 - 24" spread of sunburst, scarlet, and peach blooms.
Native to Mexico, Central America, and parts of the American southwest. The genus zinnia honors German botanist Johann Gottfried Zinn, who is credited with the first writings of the flower before it was exported to Europe in the 1750's. Zinnias are widely known for attracting pollinating butterflies and providing colorful filler to empty patches of gardens.