$5000 Agricultural Sciences Award
The Demetrios Agathangelides Memorial Scholarship
True Leaf Market is proud to support the agricultural sciences. Starting in 2022, we will offer one $5,000 scholarship to a college student majoring in the agricultural sciences. We encourage students in both graduate and undergraduate programs to apply for this scholarship, which will allow them to showcase the skills and knowledge they’ve learned in their agriculture-related field. We want applicants to demonstrate their knowledge with confidence while fulfilling the requirements for this scholarship. Overall, our aim is to encourage students to exercise what they have learned while bettering the world around them. We offer scholarships to students in these plant science related disciplines:
- Landscape Architecture
- All Other Plant Science Related Disciplines
About the Scholarship
Demetrios (Demo) Agathangelides founded one of True Leaf Market's original brands, Mountain Valley Seeds, back in 1974. Demo sadly passed away in September of 2022, and we will miss him dearly. This scholarship is in his honor and loving memory. If you would like to make a contribution to the scholarship fund to honor his legacy, please send an email to email@example.com for details.
How to Apply
Create A Zone Specific Cover Crop Mix Presentation
- Create a cover crop seed mix formulated for your specific USDA growing zone and local climate factors.
- We recommend test growing your mix and modifying it if needed to address the challenges and needs of your local growing conditions.
- Create a PowerPoint presentation that details your testing experience, findings, and challenges. Address why the final mix recommendation includes the selected seeds and their mix percentages. Explain what benefits the cover crop mix provides, how long it should be grown for, and how to terminate it using organic practices.
- Record a video of you presenting your PowerPoint and upload it to youtube. A link to your youtube video should be included on the first slide of your presentation.
- Complete the submission form, including a link to your youtube presentation and individual file uploads of:
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Photos of your test grows included in the presentation in Jpg format
- Upload your completed video link, presentation, and photo files with your application below, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: please do not send your submission documents in a zip file, as anything received in a zipped folder will be deleted.)
View Previous Winner Submissions
Terms & Conditions
We accept applications from students pursuing a degree in a plant science-related discipline who are at least high school graduates enrolled in a college, trade school, or university in the United States of America. Each applicant must meet the requirements mentioned above to qualify.
Deadline for all submissions is June 30, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. Any applications received after June 30th will not be considered for the 2024 awarded scholarship. Awards will be announced by July 31st.
All terms and conditions are subject to change by True Leaf Market.
All application material submitted to TrueLeafMarket.com is then considered property of True Leaf Market, LLC. We reserve the right to use material sent to us to show as examples to other applicants, display on our website(s), and edit for grammatical, syntactical, or typographical errors for clarity.
We Are Looking For:
- Research - Your information is correct and thorough concerning your particular plant selections. (This is a challenge to test your ability to gather relevent information, act on it, and teach what you've learned in a simple and understandable way.)
- Clean Presentation - Even somebody with little to no knowledge of plants should be able to understand your presentation.
- Completeness - Your presentation should have a beginning, middle, and end, exuding confidence about what you may be explaining.
Our goal with this scholarship is to help those that have a desire to spread their passion of the growing sciences to those around them. We hope that during these exercises, the applicant will think of those that might be reading or watching these projects and bring to them the excitement and intrigue they feel about cultivating life.
|Kaitlin Miller||Pesticide Alternatives||2016||Washington State University|
|Angelina Bernardini||About Cucumbers||2016||Tennessee State University|
|Jerome Small||The Environmental Revolution||2017||Florida Atlantic University|
|Zoe Martin Cohen||The Three Sister of the Santa Cruz Valley||2017||Arizona State University|
|Nestia N. Nuanez||Transplanting Snapdragons||2018||Aims Community College|
|Laura Thoeming||Onion Infographic||2018||Iowa State University|
|Julia Maddock||The Star of Summer Squash||2019||Kansas State University|
|Ronald J. Smith||Lettuce Essay||2019||Purdue University|
|Srijana Dura||Soil-Borne Pathogens||2021||New Mexico State University|
|Emely Mendoza||What Are Hydroponics?||2021||Delaware Technical Community College|
|Jay Wagner||The Diversity of Corn||2022||The Evergreen State College|
|Siddhartha Shankar Bhattacharyya||The Multifaceted Benefits Of Cowpeas||2023||Texas A&M University|