Organic Einkorn Grain Seeds
- Latin Name: Triticum monococcum
- Days to Maturity: 112-140 Days to Full Maturity - Annual Crop - Not Intended to Over-winter - All Zones in the U.S.A
- Germination Rate: High – Open Pollinated
- Seeds for: Ancient Wheat Variety - Grow Grain, Fodder, Wheatgrass - Grind for Low Gluten Flour
- Seed Quality: Certified Organic - Non-GMO - Heirloom - Premium Seeds
Einkorn wheat grows very similar to other grains seeded in fall for overwintering, but has a lower yeild than modern wheat. Although it can tolerate poorer soils. "Einkorn" is German meaning "single grain". It is also known as "littlespelt". Trictum monococcum is considered the earliest domesticated wheat, stemming from the wild variety Trictum boeoticum. The main difference between the two is how they disperse their seeds. The head of the wild variety of einkorn burst as a way to spread the seeds while the modern einkorn seed heads stay intact. It is assumed that the domestication of this early grain came about due to the conscious or unconscious preference over the seed heads that didn't burst when falling to the ground, as it was easier for early human scavengers to collect and therefore plant.
Einkorn flour has become a popular substitute for traditional wheat flour, with significantly more protein content and less starch. Try Einkorn grain milled or in raw granola. Like other grain wheats, Einkorn wheat is popularly broadcasted directly in the fall to overwinter and ready to harvest the following summer.
For traditional garden harvests, plant 2-3 seeds 1/2 inch deep and 6-8 inch apart in fertile, loamy, well-drained soil in full sun. Seeds germinate in 5-10 days, with no thinning required. Harvest the heads of seeds when dried, hard, and heavy at the end of summer.
- Seeds Per Package:
- 14 g - Approximately 325 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 700 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 2,800 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 11,200 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 56,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 280,000 Seeds
Mountain Valley Seed Company Brand - Independently Family Owned & Operated Small Seed Company - Premium Quality Seeds