Growing Large Mix Gourd Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Corcurbita Pepo
- Other Names: Multiple - including Autumn pumpkin
- Days to Maturity: 100 - 120 days
- Garden Seed: Heirloom - AAS Winner
- Growth Medium: Well drained; well-watered; mixture of clay and some sand
- Germination Rate: High – Open Pollinated
Seeds Per Package:
- 2 g - Approximately 60Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 850 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 1,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 4,000 Seeds
Prefers exposure to full sun but can stand some shade. Sow ½” deep; 10 -12 feet spacing. Height: 24 - 36”. Before planting, soil needs to be well groomed to avoid invasion of weeds. If row covers are used they should be removed during the blooming stage to allow bees access for pollination. Transplanting is not advisable because of the delicate nature of roots. Growing in containers will hinder growth.
Additional Facts and Information
These extraordinary gourds are multi-purpose and can be used in resourceful ways: arts and crafts, musical instruments and decorations. Some gourds are beneficial to health, containing calcium, magnesium, manganese, Omega-3, zinc, and other vitamins and minerals; improving eyesight and blood circulation; guarding immunity, bone strength and other advantages. For sweet or savory dishes, many gourds are used in the kitchen and others are carved out for use as vessels.