Speckled peas are particularly fine for pea shoot production. We only stock seeds with high germination rates so these tasty organic peas can be sprouted or grown into pea shoots - which are a Mountain Valley Staff favorite. Pea Sprouts are great in salads and can be eaten shortly after they “pop” or grown on to their first or second set of true leaves.
As we said, Pea Shoots are a favorite. There are countless ways to use Pea Shoots including some of our favorites: Feta and Pea Shoot Fritters, Pea Shoot and Smoked Bacon and just for fun the Pea Shooter. These recipes can be found at http://www.peashoots.com/peashoots-recipes.htm , these guys will make you want to eat Pea Shoots at every meal.
Pea Shoot and Sprout Growing Tips:
· For sprouting peas you can use any medium: tray, jar or bag
· When sprouting soak peas for up to 10 hrs. first
· Sprouted Peas will be ready to eat in 2 to 4 days, depending on how you like them
· Pea Shoots should be grown in a sterile soil as they are prone to mold
· Cover soaked pea seeds with a light layer of soil
· If mold develops spray with a light hydrogen peroxide solution
· Pea Shoots will be ready to eat in about a week to ten days
Pea sprouts are rich in vitamins A, B, C and E and includes calcium, iron and phosphorus.