Growing Goliath Hybrid Tomato Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Solanum lycopersicum
- Other Names: Goliath tomato
- Days to Maturity: 65 days
- Hardiness Zone: Annual, not intended for overwintering
- Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Plant Spacing: 14-20” staked
- Row Spacing: 3’
- Growth Habit: Indeterminate vines; 10- to 15-oz. smooth, blemish-free fruit
- Soil Preference: Prefers rich soil with a pH between 6.0 and 6.8; Tolerates slightly acidic soil down to a pH of 5.5
- Temp Preference: Soil at 60-95 degrees F for germination
- Light Preference: Full sun, at least 6 hours per day
- Pests/diseases: Tomato hornworms, aphids, whiteflies, Colorado potato beetle, cutworms, flea beetles, blossom end rot, catface, early blight, late blight
- Color: Bright-red fruit; green foliage
- Flavor: Sweet
Goliath Hybrid Tomato Seed Growth Habits:
The Goliath hybrid tomato cultivar is an early season, disease-resistant variety, which makes it an excellent choice for short-season growers. Goliath hybrid tomato plants will bear mature 10- to 15-oz. fruit after approximately 65 days and will continue to produce blemish-free, sweet tomatoes until the first frost thanks to its indeterminate growth habit.
Goliath hybrid tomato seeds should be started indoors 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost date. After the threat of frost and nighttime temperatures below 50 degrees has passed, they should be transplanted into a sunny location with slightly acidic soil.
Originating in the tropical regions of Central and South America, tomatoes are warm-weather plants that do well with full sun and evenly moist soil.
Various Uses for Goliath Hybrid Tomatoes:
Goliath tomatoes offer sweet, luscious flavor and blemish-free smooth skin, which makes them an ideal tomato for fresh eating. Slice it up for a sandwich or burger, or chop it up for a salad. Because Goliath tomatoes have great classic tomato flavor, they are also used to make sauces, soups, pastes, juices, and stews.
Goliath Hybrid Tomato Benefits:
Full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, Goliath tomatoes are a great way to add nutrients to your diet. Red tomatoes are known to have a particular antioxidant called lycopene, which is good for the heart.
As a highly disease-resistant variety, Goliath hybrid tomatoes are vigorous growers that are easy for home gardeners and fresh-market farmers to grow, but it is still a good idea to avoid planting them where nightshade crops, like other tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and tobacco, have recently been grown to reduce disease pressure.
To preserve the spectacular flavor of Goliath hybrid tomatoes, be sure to store them at room temperature in a dark location instead of the refrigerator. Refrigeration diminishes the flavor of tomatoes, leaving them bland and tasteless.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 10,000 Seeds