Growing Utah Yellow Spanish Onion Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Allium cepa
- Other Names: spanish onion, sweet onion
- Days to Maturity: 115 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9, especially western states
- Planting Depth: ¼”
- Plant Spacing: 2 seeds every 6"–8"
- Row Spacing: 12"–16"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Moist, nutrient-rich, well-draining soil
- Temp Preference: 60-85℉ soil
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Thrips, aphids and fungal blight
- Color: Yellow
- Flavor: Mild, sweet
Utah Yellow Spanish Onion Growth Habits:
Utah Spanish Onions take about 115 days to mature after planting seeds in the ground. Wait until the ground is not frozen, and is between 60-85℉. Onions thrive in soil that drains well but still needs to be dense in nutrients. As the onion grows, you will see green sprouts appear. Allow the tops of onions to fall and die before harvesting your crop. If any bulbs are too small to be consumed they can be saved and planted next year. A mature Utah Yellow Spanish Onion will have light brown skin and white flesh.
Various Uses for Utah Yellow Spanish Onion:
The Utah Yellow Spanish Onion is a great slicing onion. It goes perfect on Patty Melt and is great as a grilled onion. Spanish Onions are known for being large and these onions make great onions for sandwiches as well. Delicious in marinara, chili, or stew.
Utah Yellow Spanish Onion Benefits:
Onions have a tremendous amount of nutrients. At around 40 calories, onions are loaded with vitamin c which is great for the immune system. Onions have anti-inflammatory properties which help the body with high blog pressure and preventing blood clots. Alliums have also been proven to help cholesterol levels. Onions are also a powerhouse in the garden due to the fact that they help to deter many common garden pests.
Utah state vegetable in 2002, and has been grown in the U.S. since 1916.
- 2 g - Approximately 500 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 7,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 28,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 112,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 560,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 2,800,000 Seeds