Growing Non-GMO Waltham 29 Broccoli Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea var. italica
- Common Names: Broccolo (Italian singular of broccoli)
- Broccoli Hardiness Zones: 2-11
- Waltham 29 Days to Maturity: 85 days
- Seed Planting Depth: Plant 2-3 seeds ½” deep
- Seed Spacing: 12-18"
- Garden Row Spacing: 18-30"
- Waltham 29 Growth Habit: Heirloom broccoli seeds grow to a 24-30" tall mounded brassica with a 24" spread of 4-8" heads
- Garden Soil Preference: Organically rich, fertile, well-drained
- Grow Temp Preference: 40-70°F
- Garden Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/Diseases/Troubleshooting: Heirloom Brassica oleracea var. italica is susceptible to brassica pests including cabbage worms and cabbage loopers and watch regularly for flea beetles, aphids, and thrips. Watch for leaf spotting and yellowing.
- Color: Waltham 29 broccoli boasts classic blue-green floret and greens
- Waltham 29 Flavor: Timeless crisp, crunchy, and earthy broccoli florets
Non-GMO Waltham 29 broccoli seeds are a cool weather crop ideally grown in early spring or fall. Broccoli seeds can be sown direct but, for earliest starts, begin indoors 6-8 weeks prior. Plant 2-3 Waltham 29 seeds ½” deep per cell or 3” apart in the garden in organically rich, well-drained soil in full sun. Heirloom broccoli seeds germinate in 3-10 days, thin back to 1 plant every 12-20” in the garden once true leaves establish. Harvest broccoli often to encourage growth. Open-pollinated Brassica oleracea var. italica is susceptible to brassica pests including cabbage worms and cabbage loopers and watch regularly for flea beetles, aphids, and thrips. Watch for leaf spotting and yellowing.
Waltham 29 broccoli is a cultivar of Brassica oleracea var. italica specifically grown to withstand the cooler gardens of the American Northeast and Pacific northwest. Recently, non-GMO broccoli has been experiencing a renaissance as a sprout, microgreens, and garden vegetable crop because of the natural-occuring compound Sulforaphane exclusive to members of the brassica (cruciferous) family. Studies have shown significant correlations between Sulforaphane and alleviation of cancer, autism, heart health, and diabetes.
Wholesale Non-GMO Waltham 29 Broccoli Vegetable Garden Seeds Per Package:
- 3 g - Wholesale - Approximately 900 Seeds
- 1 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 9,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 36,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 144,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 720,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 3,600,000 Seeds
Heirloom Waltham 29 broccoli vegetable garden seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.