Growing Organic Yellow Pea Cover Crop Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Pisum sativum subsp. arvense
- Common Names: Field Pea, Winter Pea, Black Pea
- Yellow Pea Hardiness Zones: 2-10, Annual
- Days to Maturity: 60-70 days
- Field Pea Seeding Rate: 7-8 lb per 1000 sq. ft
- Seed Planting Depth: Broadcasting directly and tamp 1" into soil
- Growth Habit: Yellow pea seeds quickly mature into a vining 24-48" tall classic field pea
- Yellow Pea Soil Benefits: Replenishes nitrogen into the soil, roots loosen soil to improve tilth, drainage, and weeds
- Grow Temp Preference: 55-65° F
- Garden Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/Diseases/Troubleshooting: Non-GMO Pisum sativum subsp. arvense is a hardy cover crop with no serious pests or diseases, but monitor regularly for slugs and powdery mildew.
- Color: Classic light green field pea that produces white blooms with hints of purple and red
- Yellow Pea Mow: When seeded as a cover crop, mow non-GMO organic yellow pea before it goes to seed, mulching back into garden soil before sowing new crop
About Organic Yellow Pea Cover Crop Garden Seeds
Organic yellow pea is a cool-weather cover crop ideally suited for direct, full sun outdoor garden sowing as soon as soil can be worked after final frost date. For cover crop use, broadcast seeds directly 1-2” deep and 2-3” apart in organically rich, well-drained garden soil in full sun, light shade in warm summer months for an overwinter kill. Pea cover crops seeds are traditionally soaked overnight in warm water to accelerate germination. Heirloom organic yellow pea seeds germinate in 7-14 days, thinning back to 4-6” apart in the garden once true leaves establish. If grown as a cover crop, allow annual field pea seeds to grow without thinning. Pisum sativum subsp. arvense is a hardy cover crop with no serious pests or diseases, but monitor regularly for slugs and powdery mildew.
A European heirloom native to Western Austria, the heirloom organic yellow pea is one of the most hearty and sustaining among open-pollinated pea plants. Non-GMO organic yellow pea is a trailing annual garden vegetable and cool-season cover crop known to have a stronger ability to provide weed control in the pea plant family. In North America, the heirloom yellow pea is widely cultivated in the cool, temperate Pacific Northwest.
Organic Yellow Pea Benefits
Heirloom field pea is rich in protein-fortifying amino acids and carbohydrates and, even just a half cup serving, provides nearly 50% of daily recommended values of several essential vitamins. The field pea is widely accepted as one of the earliest domesticated crops, but mostly cultivated for livestock fodder only until 2,000 years ago. Today, non-GMO Organic yellow pea is a commercially successful garden cultivar of pea grown for human consumption rather than cattle while also a choice cover crop to aid in replensihing nitrogen, soil tilth, erosion control, and repelling certain soil-borne pathogens. The open-pollinated yellow pea seed grows a popular protein substitute and can highlight both the flower garden and variety of culinary treats in the kitchen.
Wholesale Organic Yellow Pea Cover Crop Seeds Per Package:
- 1 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 1,440 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 7,200 Seeds
- 25 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 36,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Organic Yellow pea cover crop seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.