Growing Organic Waltham 29 Broccoli Garden Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: brassica oleracea var italica
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 85 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-10
- Planting Depth: 1"
- Plant Spacing: 3"
- Row Spacing: 18-30"
- Growth Habit: Bush
- Soil Preference: Composted soil above six ph, temperature 60 to 65 degrees
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Partial
- Pests/diseases: Cabbage worms and aphids.
- Color:Green with green/blue tops
- Flavor: Mild with a crispy texture.
The Waltham 29 variety of broccoli is hardy and can be grown best in zones three to ten. You can start growing broccoli by sowing the seeds directly outside, one fourth of an inch deep, eighteen inches apart, with eighteen to thirty inches between the rows. The Waltham 29 broccoli needs full sun to thrive. During the first two weeks, the organic broccoli seeds will be germinating, and will need consistently moist soil. While growing, the broccoli seedlings’ soil will need to be moderately watered. It is recommended to water at ground level. Within eighty five days, the Waltham 29 broccoli will be mature and ready to harvest; by this time, the heads of the main shoot will have a diameter of about five to six inches. By cutting off the main head at this time, more side shoots/florets will be encouraged to grow.
Check out this study done by Penn State Universityabout how broccoli can help with healthy digestion.