Growing Golden Bantam Corn (OP) Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: zea mays
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 60-90 days
- Hardiness Zone: 1-10
- Planting Depth: 1-2”
- Plant Spacing: 4”
- Row Spacing: 30”
- Growth Habit: Mound
- Soil Preference: PH level of 6 to 6.5, rich soil with organic matter is best.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to corn wireworms, cutworms, and fungal diseases
- Color: Dark green leaves with yellow stems.
- Flavor: Similar to spinach and beet
Begin by sowing corn seeds directly outdoors, 1 1/2 inches deep with four inches between seeds and thirty inches between rows. When choosing a site in your garden, keep the sun in mind; these tall stalks have potential to block the sunlight from other plants. While growing, the crops will need one to one and a half inches of water. When the kernels are firm, the ear is ripe. To harvest, firmly pull the ear downwards while twisting. The unhusked ears can be kept in the fridge for up to one week.
Seeds Per Package:
- 20 g - Approximately 100 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 140 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 560 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 2,400 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 12,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 60,000 Seeds