Growing Ornamental Corn Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Zea mays everta
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 110 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-11
- Planting Depth: 1-2"
- Plant Spacing: 4"
- Row Spacing: 30"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Moist and well drained, temp of 55 to 65 F, pH 6 to 7
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to corn wireworms, cutworms, and fungal diseases Gold
- Flavor: Sweet
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 lb - Approximately 2,400 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 12,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 60,000 Seeds
Begin by sowing directly outdoors, 1 1/2 inches deep with eight inches between seeds and thirty inches between rows. When choosing a site in your garden, keep the sun in mind; tall stalks have potential to block the sunlight from other plants. While growing, the crops will need one to one and a half inches of water. Leave the ears on the stalk until the corn is fully mature and the husks have turned brown. At this point, you can harvest and leave them to mature even further. When the kernels easily rub off the cob, you can store them or pop them.