How to Grow California Giant Mix Zinnia Flowers from Seeds
- Taxonomy: Zinnia elegans
- Seed Type: Annual
- Sow Indoors or Outdoors: Outdoors. Mature California Giant Zinnias can reach up to 4' tall and more than 1' wide, which may be a bit excessive for indoor gardening. For earlier blossoms, start seeds indoors 5 – 7 weeks before transplanting outside.
- Days to Maturity: 75 – 90 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3 – 10
- Seed Planting Depth: ¼”
- Zinnia Plant Spacing: 18 - 24"
- Growth Habit: 3 – 4' tall bushy upright with 4 – 5” giant semi-double blooms
- Soil Preference: Moist, enriched, well-drained
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Diseases/Pests/Troubleshooting: Water the soil directly to avoid wetting the foliage, as it can cause mold and powdery mildew. Do not underestimate their height and plan your garden accordingly, as California Giants could quickly shadow a garden for the season. Early watering and weeding will generally alleviate most problems, as the California Giant Zinnias are a vigorous summer annual. Pyrethrin stops most insects and pests.
- Color: Assorted rose, gold, red, pink, canary, coral, orange, and scarlet.
California Giant Mix flower seeds are the largest variety of Zinnias available and can reach nearly four feet high! The California Giant Zinnia was selectively bred and marketed in 1926 by Bodger Seed Selected for its size and brilliance and has been the literal “king of summer annuals” ever since. Buy Giant California Zinnia flower seeds online.