White Chia Seed - Certified Organic Sprouting Seeds
- Soak: N/A
- Difficulty: Difficult (mucilaginous - must not be soaked)
- Days to Maturity: 5-7 Days
- Suitable Sprout Method: Tray, Sack, or Terra Cotta (preferred)-(keep seed damp but do not soak)
- Flavor: Fresh and sweet
- Popular Uses: Soups, Sandiches, and Salads
- Nutrients: Vitamins B, C, and K, folic acid, and fiber
Chia seeds were a staple food source for the Aztecs. They are are an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids, calcium and antioxidants and contain no gluten. White Chia seeds can be eaten raw or sprouted. Chia sprouts are a delicious addition to salads and sandwiches. Chia can be ground into a meal to make porridge or cakes, or as an addition to breads, cakes and biscuits. White chia (sometimes called "salba") has a neutral flavor that combines with any other flavor or food.
Sprouting White Chia Microgreens Instructions
White Chia seeds are mucilaginous and cannot be sprouted using conventional tray or jar sprouters. There are several different approaches to sprouting Chia, two of which are detailed below. However, we recommend you check out growingmicrogreens.com for a dedicated hydroponic chia microgreens growing kit, which we have found to be the absolute best way to sprout and grow chia. Here are two other methods we have tried:
- Sprinkle a thin layer of Chia Seed on the bottom of a terra cotta dish or plate (unsealed/uncoated).
- Set the terra cotta dish in a larger plate of water.
- Cover with another plate.
- Small amounts of water permeate the terra cotta plate upon which the chia seeds sit, and provide exactly the right amount of water to sprout them.
- On the second day, lightly mist the seeds.
- Harvest on the third day.
- It takes about 2 or 3 days to get healthy Chia sprouts.
An alternate method:
- Lay a nylon or linen cloth on a plate.
- Spray a fine mist of water onto the cloth.
- Sprinkle 1 layer Chia Seed on top of the bag. Mist it lightly.
- Cover with another plate, misting lightly once per day.
- You will have Chia sprouts in about 3 or more.