Growing Sweet Beauty Hybrid Watermelon Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Citrullus lanatus
- Variety: “Non-GMO Sweet Beauty Hybrid”
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 75-80 days
- Hardiness Zones: 3-11
- Planting Depth: ½-1"
- Plant Spacing: 6’
- Row Spacing: 6’
- Growth Habit: Spreading-vine
- Soil Preference: Fertile, loamy and well-drained with soil pH 6.0-7.0
- Temp Preference: Warm to hot
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Melon aphids and powdery mildew
- Color: Forest-green striped exterior with ruby-red fruit
- Flavor: Crispy, honey-sweet and slight cucumber
Sowing & Growing:
Sow Sweet Beauty Hybrid Watermelon seeds in quart pots indoors 3 weeks before your region’s final frost. Transplant young plants outdoors 2-3 after sowing or once your soil has reached at least 70℉ and night temperatures don’t drop below 50℉. Heirloom watermelons are best suited for loamy soil that is fertile, mildly acidic and well-drained with a pH level of 6.0-7.0. For direct-sowing, plant Sweet Beauty Hybrid Watermelon seeds ½-1” deep, 6’ apart and with 6’ spaced in between raised rows. Germination will take 3-10 days. Place in a sunny location and give these fast-maturing watermelons 1-2” of water each week until you see the fruits begin to grow and reach their final development, then lessen the amount in order to boost the sweetness of these plants.
Harvest Sweet Beauty Hybrid Watermelons around 77 days from the sowing date or once the mature fruit fit any of the following criteria: light-yellow at the base or bottom of the watermelon, the main vine and stem has completely dried out and changed from green to brown or the exterior rind of the melon can be slightly pressed in by your thumb. The rind will be somewhere in the middle of soft to the touch and tough. With a gardening knife, cut the watermelons from their stem. Be sure to keep a close eye near the end of their growing phase, as you want to harvest your watermelon crop before they become overripe and crack.
Watermelon seems to always satisfy our sweet-tooth cravings, but did you know that you can also enjoy this summer heirloom fruit as a more savory dish too? Try Sweet Beauty Hybrid Watermelon cucumber salad with crumbled feta cheese, balsamic vinegar and some olive oil to eat as a refreshing meal!
Sweet Beauty Hybrid Watermelon Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 790 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 3,160 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 12,640 Seeds
- 5 lbs - Approximately 62,300 Seeds
- 25 lbs - Approximately 996,800 seeds