Growing Organic Moon and Stars Watermelon Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Citrullus lanatus
- Variety: “Non-GMO Organic Moon and Stars”
- Other Names:
- Watermelon Days to Maturity: 95-100 days
- Hardiness Zones: 3-9
- Planting Depth: ½-1"
- Plant Spacing: 3-4’
- Row Spacing: 5-6’
- Growth Habit: Spreading-vine
- Soil Preference: Fertile, loamy, added compost soil and pH 6.0-6.8
- Temp Preference: Warm to hot
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Cucumber beetles, melon aphids and leafminers
- Color: Solid forest-green rind, oval shape with fuschia-red fruit
- Flavor: Juicy texture and very sweet
Sowing & Growing:
Direct-sow Organic Moon and Stars Watermelon seeds in late spring or early summer, so long as the threat of frost has passed in your region. In cooler climates, start non-GMO seeds indoors in peat pots 4 weeks before your location’s final frost. Plant watermelon seeds ½-1” deep in warm potting soil with 2 seeds in each cell. Once the young heirlooms have grown 1-2 sets of true leaves, thin to your strongest 2 watermelons for each pot and transplant to a permanent sunny location. Use row covers and mulch to help produce successful organic watermelon crops. This summer season variety does best in a temperature range of 70-85℉ and prefers even watering until you see fruits begin to bloom. Water your Organic Moon and Stars Watermelons less unless the soil becomes dry and allow pollination to occur. For warmer climates, plant 4-6 seeds in raised hills with 5-6’ spaced in between rows. Thin to 2-3 Moon and Stars Watermelons in each hill. Germination will take 4-10 days. This organic seed variety prefers soil that is fertile, loamy and well-draining or with added compost and a pH level of 6.0-6.8.
Organic Moon and Stars Watermelon seeds will be ready for harvest around 95 days from the sowing date. You can also check to see if these majestic heirloom melons are ready to harvest once their stem has lost its green color and completely dried. Even though the colors add to this variety’s beauty, you can see if the underside of the fruit has turned dull and more yellow. Harvest organic ripe watermelon by cutting the stem near the base of the fruit with gardening shears. Continue to replenish your sweet Moon and Stars watermelon cravings by wrapping in plastic and storing in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you enjoy the seed tradition of eating watermelons, the Organic Moon and Stars seed variety is the right melon for you! With the warm summer soil as your canvas, this watermelon crop grows into its own artistic display, producing hearty seeds that are eaten as a main delicacy in places like Africa.
Organic Moon and Stars Watermelon Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 200 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 800 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 3,200 Seeds
- 5 lbs - Approximately 16,000 Seeds
- 25 lbs - Approximately 80,000 Seeds