Growing Organic Triticale Cover Crop Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: xTriticosecale
- Common Names: Wittmack Grain
- Triticale Hardiness Zones: 1-10 Annual, Perennial to zones 1-6
- Triticale Days to Maturity: 90 days
- Seeding Rate: 2–4 lb per 1000 sq. ft
- Seed Planting Depth: Broadcast and lightly tamp
- Growth Habit: Organic triticale seeds mature into a classic 30-40" tall grassy wheat field grain
- Triticale Soil Benefits: Replenishes nitrogen into the soil, roots loosen soil to improve tilth, drainage, and weeds
- Grow Temp Preference: 50-75° F
- Garden Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/Diseases/Troubleshooting: Non-GMO xTriticosecale is a tenacious hybrid of wheat and rye specifically crossed for its tolerance to pests and diseases. Organic triticale cover crop has no serious pests or diseases.
- Color: Classic light green field grain that turns to golden brown in summer and fall
- Triticale Mow: When growing as a cover crop, mow down triticale before it begins to seed, tilling grass back into soil a month before sowing a new spring crop.
About Organic Triticale Cover Crop Seeds
Like other winter wheat grains, organic triticale cover crop seeds are popularly broadcasted directly in the fall to overwinter, ready for garden harvesting the following autumn. For traditional garden harvests, plant 2-3 organic triticale seeds ½” deep and 6-8” apart in fertile, loamy, well-drained garden soil in full sun. Non-GMO triticale seeds germinate in 4-10 days, with no thinning required. Harvest heads of triticale seeds when they have become dried, hard, and heavy the following fall. Organic xTriticosecale is a tenacious hybrid of wheat and rye specifically crossed for its tolerance to pests and diseases. Organic triticale cover crop has no serious pests or diseases.
Organic Triticale Benefits
Non-GMO Triticale planted as a cover crop provides ideal soil tilth, controls soil erosion, and aids in weed suppression. It is also traditionally tilled back into the soil as a green manure for future crops. As triticale is mixed with wheat, these plants contain sufficient amounts of protein and types of vitamin B, supplying 50% more fiber content than wheat and are suggested to help balance blood sugar levels.
Although a notable winter cover crop, xTriticosecale is only recently gaining traction as a readily-digestible commercial, and profitable cereal grain. Introduced by German and Scotish horticulturalists, triticale cover crop garden seeds are still a relatively new field grain popularly made available for annual livestock grazing, fodder, and easily-digested milling. Grow annual organic triticale seeds overwinter as a nitrogen-rich cover crop and turn the grain back into the soil to provide a fertile, organic "green manure" garden compost. Recently, organic triticale has been studied as a possible natural energy crop to be harvested as an organic biomass for clean, renewable bioethanol production.
Wholesale Organic Triticale Cover Crop Seeds Per Package:
- 25 g - Wholesale - Approximately 650 Seeds
- 1 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 12,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 60,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Organic Triticale cover crop seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.