Growing Heirloom Large Red Cherry Tomato Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Solanum lycoperscium
- Tomato Type: Indeterminate
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 2-11
- Days to Maturity: 75-80
- Days to Germination: 5-14
- Seeding Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 18-24"
- Row Spacing: 24-36"
- Plant Height: 36-72" (vining)
- Growth Habit: Tall vining upright
- Soil Preference: Moist, fertile, composted, well-drained
- Temperature Preference: 65-85 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Large Red Cherry Tomato Color: Dark right skin and meat
- Large Red Cherry Tomato Flavor: Extra sweet, juicy, with minimal acid compared to larger tomatoes
- Pests and Diseases: Susceptible to fusarium wilt and blight. Watch for aphids, flea beetles, and tomato hornworms.
How to Grow Large Red Cherry Tomatoes from Seed
Tomato seeds are a warm weather crop best if started indoors about 6-8 weeks prior to final spring frost. Plant 2-3 seeds 1/4" deep per cell in fertile, humusy, and well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-6.8. Seeds germinate in 5-14 days, transplant best starts to 1 per pot or 18-36" apart in the garden. Ideal in container gardening. Before sowing, know whether the seed is determinate or indeterminate, as each will exhibit different habits.
Determinate varieties mature to a predetermined size, producing its fruit all at once with only a minor need for staking. Indeterminate varieties grow indefinitely through the season, producing non-stop fruit while requiring heavy support. Large Red Cherry tomato seeds are an indeterminate tomato crop.
Heirloom Large Red Cherry Tomatoes in the Vegetable Garden
Tomato is the quintessential staple of summer gardening and arguably offers the most seed diversity among all seasonal fruits. Available in every possible color, shape, and size, tomato is a high-heat and full sun favorite that thrives from container and patio gardening. Along with cucumber and summer squash, the tomato plant is one of the most productive, hardy, and heavy fruiting crops of the season.
This heirloom cherry tomato has excellent flavor and produces handfuls of 1", sweet, firm fruit. The indeterminate vine will continue to grow over an extended season so you should create a supporting structure for vining growth.
Harvesting Large Red Cherry Tomatoes
Smaller varieties such as the cherry are ready to harvest at about 80 days from sowing while larger varieties like the beefsteak may require a few extra weeks. Although vine-ripened fruit is always preferred, tomatoes can just as easily be harvested early and ripen indoors by being stored in a paper bag or box along with a banana for its ethylene gas. Ripest tomatoes may be pulled from the vine by hand, while more firm ones should be clipped with shears.
About Large Red Cherry Tomato Seeds
Solanum lycoperscium. (75-80 Days). Indeterminate. Large Red Cherry produces clusters of large red cherry tomatoes over a long season. Perfect for salads or just popping in your mouth when you're in the garden!
1966 Burrells' Seed Catalog Says about large red cherry tomato...
"Attractive, high quality the size of a half dollar. Extensively used for eating fresh and in salads. A good home garden variety and is now very popular with Western growers for marketing in berry boxes. Vigorous plants produce heavily over a long period."
Non-GMO Large Red Cherry Tomato Seeds Per Package:
- 300 mg - Packet - Approximately 105 Seeds
- 1 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 10,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 40,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Bulk - Approximately 160,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk - Approximately 800,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Large Red cherry tomato seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.