Growing Sweet Dumpling Squash Heirloom Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cucurbita pepo
- Other Names: Delicata squash, heirloom sweet dumpling squash, sweet potato squash
- Days to Maturity: 110 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: 1”
- Plant Spacing: 24”
- Row Spacing: 6’
- Growth Habit: Vining; Round 7-oz. fruit
- Soil Preference: Rich, loamy soil with a pH between 5.8 and 6.8
- Temp Preference: 60- to 95-degree F soil for germination; Sensitive to frost
- Light Preference: Full sun, at least 8 hours
- Pests/diseases: Striped cucumber beetles, aphids, squash bugs, squash vine borers, powdery mildew, angular leaf spot, bacterial leaf spot, Fusarium, Phytophthora, Plectosporium
- Color: Cream-colored with dark green stripes; Orange flesh; Yellow flowers; Dark green foliage
- Flavor: Sweet
Sweet Dumpling Squash Seed Growth Habits:
Sweet Dumpling squash grows on vining plants with large leaves. While this type of delicata squash seed does not require trellising, growers with limited space may wish to use a trellis to keep the fruit and vines off the ground to leave more room for other plants.
In general, winter squash plants love warm weather and lots of sun and water (about 1" per week). Like all squash plants, the Sweet Dumpling variety will be damaged by frost, so it is best to either sow the squash seeds directly in the ground once the soil temperature has reached about 70 degrees or start the squash plants indoors up to 1 month prior to your last frost date. When deciding on which method to choose, consider the length of your frost-free growing season and the fact that Sweet Dumpling squash seeds reach maturity after approximately 110 days.
Various Uses for Sweet Dumpling Squash:
Sweet Dumpling squash is a small delicata squash variety grown for its delicious orange flesh that tastes a bit like sweet potato. It is often stuffed with other ingredients to create a delicious and eye-catching side dish.
Roasted Sweet Dumpling squash seeds with a little salt or spices of your choosing are a delicious, healthy snack option.
The large, yellow squash blossoms of Sweet Dumpling squash can be stuffed and baked or fried or used as garnish. To ensure a full harvest of this winter squash, be sure to only pick male squash blossoms, which do not produce the fruit.
Sweet Dumpling Winter Squash and Squash Seed Benefits:
Winter squash with orange flesh, like Sweet Dumpling and other delicata types, are high in beta-carotene, vitamins, and minerals.
Squash seeds are also a highly nutritious, low-calorie food.
Seeds Per Package:
- 4 g - Approximately 70 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 495 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 1,980 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 7,920 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 39,600 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 198,000 Seeds