Growing Eight Ball Hybrid Zucchini Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cucurbita Pepo
- Other Names: Summer squash, courgettes
- Days to Maturity: 55 days
- Hardiness Zone: 1” deep
- Planting Depth: 24” apart
- Row Spacing: 3- 4’
- Growth Habit: 24 - 30” tall and bushy
- Soil Preference: Well-watered, moist, manure and compost - pH 6.0 - 6.8
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun = 6 - 8 hours daily
- Pests/diseases: Powdery mildew
- Color: Deep forest glossy green
- Flavor: Rich, buttery, sweet
Dependable in rapid and bountiful growth, Eight Ball squash can be picked for superior flavor while young and skin is tender, about 2 ½ - 3” in diameter. Sow 1” deep, 24 inches apart, after the possibility of frost is over. Plant indoors ½ - 1” deep in peat moss pots, and secure roots to prevent damage when transplanting. Watering overhead is a common cause of plant disease; bottom watering is best.
The supply of nutrition is high, including Vitamins A and C, magnesium, folate, choline, dietary fiber, Eight Ball is totally round which makes it flexible for use with sausage and other stuffing. Pickled or frozen, it is a suitable candidate for emergency storage and is easy to pick for quick meals. This novelty crop is available year round.