Growing Organic Daikon Radish Cover Crop Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus
- Common Names: Oriental Radish, Japanese Radish, Winter Radish, Long White Radish
- Daikon Hardiness Zones: Annual cover crop use
- Days to Maturity: 30-40 Days
- Daikon Radish Seeding Rate: 2-4 lb per 1000 sq. ft
- Seed Planting Depth: Broadcast directly and lightly rake and tamp ½" deep
- Daikon Growth Habit: Organic Daikon radish cover crop seeds grow a unique white taproot and 10-20" tall leafy greens
- Daikon Radish Soil Benefits: Its deep, firm taproot is responsible for breaking up heavy soils dense with clay to improve tilth, drainage, and weed management
- Grow Temp Preference: 50-70° F
- Garden Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/Diseases/Troubleshooting: Non-GMO Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus is a cool-season cover crop annual with no serious pests or diseases
- Color: Firm white taproot and seasonally leafy greens
- Daikon Radish Mow: When seeded as a cover crop, mow heirloom Daikon radish once taproot has established. Can be sown and mowed several times throughout season.
About Organic Daikon Radish Cover Crop Garden Seeds
Like many legumes, non-GMO organic Daikon radish seeds are popularly grown as a cover crop broadcasted directly nearly any time of year for tilling back into the soil. Because open-pollinated Daikon is so quick to mature, it is often sown every 2 weeks for an effective, staggered rotation. For a traditional garden harvest or tighter cover crop arrangements, sow 2-3 heirloom organic Daikon radish cover crop seeds ½” deep and 2-3” apart in average, looamy, and well-drained garden soil in full sun. Annual organic Daikon seeds germinate in 3-7 days, with no thinning required. Non-GMO organic Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus is a cool-hardy crop with no serious pests or diseases. When seeded as an annual cover crop, mow heirloom Daikon radish once taproot has established. Organic Daikon can be sown and mowed several times throughout season for multiple companion plantings.
Organic Daikon Radish Benefits
Whereas traditional heirloom radish is grown for its convenient and shallow roots, organic Daikon is grown for its longer taproot proven to break apart and loosen dense, uncultivated soils. The 10" long taproot also aids in nutrient retention and provides clean tilth for future crops to take root. Annual Daikon radish is seeded multiple times throughout the season as a companion plant, growing in tandem through the season, replenishing lost nitrogen in the soil for such nitrogen-dependent tomatoes, peppers, muskmelons, and cucumbers. Non-GMO organic Daikon radish is premier pickling variety, used throughout the world as a tangy, yet bright fresh garden crunch.
Wholesale Organic Daikon Radish Cover Crop Garden Seeds Per Package:
- 4 oz - Wholesale Seeds - Approximately 10,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Wholesale Seeds - Approximately 40,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 200,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 1,000,000 Seeds
Organic Daikon radish cover crop garden seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.