Growing Red Warty Thing Pumpkin Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cucurbita maxima
- Other Names: Red Warty Thing
- Days to Maturity: 110 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: 1”
- Plant Spacing: 36-60”
- Row Spacing: 8’
- Growth Habit: Vine
- Soil Preference: Moist, well- drained
- Temp Preference: 70-90℉
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Beetles, slugs, squash bugs
- Color: Red-orange
- Flavor: Tender, mild, sweet
Red Warty Thing Pumpkin Growth Habits:
Put pumpkin seeds into the ground 110 days before the first predicted fall frost. Top with 1” of soil. Pumpkins will sprawl out in the garden, so make sure they have room. When ready to harvest, cut the stem with a knife. Make sure you do not bruise pumpkin while harvesting, or it will rot. Cure for 1-2 weeks before storing.
Various Uses for Red Warty Thing Pumpkin:
Red Warty Thing Pumpkin has the perfect texture for cooking. It does not have the typical stringy texture of other pumpkins. The rind is incredibly thick on Red Warty Pumpkins, but it can be boiled or roasted once it has been cut. The pumpkin has a mild sweet flavor. When pureed, it can be used in a variety of desserts and provides a delicious creamy texture.
Red Warty Thing Pumpkin Benefits:
Red Warty Thing Pumpkin has numerous health benefits. It contains beta-carotene which is essential for eye health. Vitamin A is present in pumpkins which helps vision, the immune system, and the reproduction system. Pumpkins also help the immune system via Vitamin C, and bones with calcium.
Heirloom Red Warty Thing Pumpkin comes from the U.S. Seed Bank.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 200 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 800 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 3,200 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 16,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 80,000 Seeds