Unlike vermiculite, perlite doesn't hold much water or nutrients, so is ideal for plants that need good drainage or that like soil to dry completely between waterings (succulents, cacti, and a small number of vegetables, flowers and house plants). Perlite has no microbial or nutritional value. Perlite can have pH of neutral (7) to slightly alkaline (7.5). Compare to Vermiculite which typically has a neutral pH of 7. You can start seeds in straight perlite, but most potting mixes contain between 10 percent to 20 percent..
- HORTICULTURAL GRADE PERLITE - Each Bag is 8 Quarts and ~2 lbs - Grade 1, Fine Coarseness (granule size about one eighth of an inch) - Mountain Valley Seed Company Brand
- SOIL ADDITIVE - Add to any potting mix for seed starting and long term growth of plants that don't like over watering like cacti and succulents, container plants - Helps grow stronger root systems on most plants
- IMPROVES SOIL DRAINAGE - Improves water drainage and provides insulation for roots against the cold - Won't degrade, rot or mold
- IMPROVES SOIL AERATION - Aerates soils for healthier roots, Loosens compacted soil and helps keep soil from compacting
- NON-TOXIC - All natrual, sterile, odorless - pH ranges from 7 (neutral) to 7.5 (slightly alkaline) - Can be used as a substitute for sand and as a hydroponic medium