Growing Horizon Orange Sweet Bell Pepper Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Capsicum annuum
- Other Names: Pepper, sweet pepper, orange pepper, bell pepper
- Days to Maturity: 75 days
- Hardiness Zone: Most zones when grown as an annual
- Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Plant Spacing: 12-24” in rows; 14-16” in raised beds
- Row Spacing: 2-3’
- Growth Habit: 24-36” tall; 4” blocky peppers
- Soil Preference: Moist, well-drained loamy soil; slightly acidic to neutral pH
- Temp Preference: 70-84 degrees F; 60-75 degrees F at night; below 90 degrees F during the day
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Aphids, European corn borer, Anthracnose fruit rot, Phytophthora blight, whiteflies, cutworms, pepper maggots, Colorado potato beetles, tarnished plant bug, Verticillium wilt, mosaic virus, blossom end rot
- Color: Green to orange fruit; green foliage
- Flavor: Sweet, mild
Horizon Orange Sweet Bell Pepper Seed Growth Habits:
Preferring well-draining, slightly acidic to neutral soil, orange sweet bell peppers grow on 24"- to 36"-tall plants. Planting sweet bell pepper seeds is easy to do in most USDA zones. Technically a tropical perennial, the bell pepper plant is grown as an annual during the frost-free growing seasons of each zone. Bell pepper seeds should be started indoors 8 to 10 weeks before you intend to plant them in your garden. Because nighttime temperatures below 60 degrees F can cause problems with fruit set, in some cases, it is wise to plan on transplanting bell pepper seedlings into the garden 2 to 3 weeks after your zone's last frost date. Producing a relatively compact plant with a shallow root system, sweet bell pepper seeds for planting in the home garden can easily be grown in containers.
Various Uses for Sweet Orange Bell Peppers:
Heirloom sweet bell peppers are a culinary staple in restaurants and home kitchens around the world. Sweet peppers can be eaten raw with vegetable dip or on fresh salads or stuffed with a variety of fillings and cooked. Sweet bell peppers are also a delicious pizza topping. Bell peppers can also be dried and powdered for use as a spice in soups, stews, and sauces.
Horizon Orange Sweet Bell Pepper Benefits:
Rich in Vitamin C, potassium, and other antioxidants, sweet orange bell peppers are a nutritious addition to healthy meals. Carotenoids, which are found in relatively high amounts in bell peppers, may contribute to eye health.
Although pepper plants are native to the tropical regions of South America and Mexico, the sweet bell pepper was developed in Hungary in the 1920s.
Seeds Per Package:
- 500 mg - Approximately 70 Seeds
- 0.25 oz - Approximately 1,000 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 4,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 16,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 64,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 320,000 Seeds