Red Fire Orach Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Red Fire Orach Days to Maturity: 20-40+(leaves) 50+(flowering)
- Red Fire Orach Hardiness Zones: 4-8
- Red Fire Orach Planting Depth: ¼-1/2”
- Red Fire Orach Plant Spacing: 2”
- Red Fire Orach Row Spacing: 12-18”
- Red Fire Orach Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Rich, moist and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Cool to warm
- Light Preference: Full sun to partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Aphids and grasshoppers
- Red Fire Orach Vegetable Color: Wine, ruby-colored leaves
- Red Fire Orach Flavor: Savory, fresh, similar to spinach, collards
Red Fire Orach Growing Habits
Non-GMO Red Fire Orach (Atriplex hortensis) plants grow 4-8’ tall as annual heirlooms and cool season vegetables. Leafy greens such as Orach, produce into summer with striking growth, developing wine and ruby-colored leaves, similar to spinach. Your Red Fire Orach crop will reach ideal harvesting as their fresh leaves grow 1-2”, before going to seed. Your fresh orach will also flourish in the warmer conditions and won’t bolt as early. By late summer to early fall, your Red Fire Orach will bloom small reddish-green flowers.
Culinary Uses for Red Fire Orach Vegetable Seed
Red Fire Orach, which is also called “French Spinach” can be cooked as an alternative to spinach, while providing a less bitter and more savory flavor similar to collard greens. You can also add the ruby-colored leaves of orach to salads or as a striking garnish.
Medicinal Uses for Purple Orach Vegetable Seed
The wine-colored leaves of Red Fire Orach have been used as an herbal remedy, as their fresh leaves are steeped and made into warm tea that aids fatigue. This red orach variety has also been a popular remedy to help alleviate menstrual cramps, as the 2” leaves are ground and infused with honey and hot water.
Benefits of Growing Red Fire Orach Vegetable Seed
As an annual heirloom variety, Red Fire Garden Vegetables can flourish in cool and warmer conditions, making it a longer lasting summer plant that doesn’t bolt as early. The fresh wine and ruby-colored leaves that develop make a striking ornamental addition to your summer garden! As one of the oldest grown crops, this leafy plant is grown for its medicinal properties and for the option to harvest the seeds of Red Fire Orach. Their crushed up non-GMO seeds can be made into blue dye or added to baking flour!
Red Fire Orach Garden Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 8,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 32,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 128,000 Seeds
- 5 lbs - Approximately 640,000 Seeds