Purple Orach Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Purple Orach Days to Maturity: 45+(leaves) 90+(seed) Hardy Annual
- Hardiness Zones: 3-9
- Planting Depth: ¼-1/2”
- Plant Spacing: 2”
- Row Spacing: 12-18”
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Rich, moist and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Cool to warm
- Light Preference: Full sun to partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Aphids and grasshoppers
- Purple Orach Color: Burgundy-colored, smooth green leaves
- Purple Orach Seed Flavor: Savory, fresh, green, similar to collards
Purple Orach Growing Habits
Non-GMO Purple Orach (Atriplex hortensis) plants grow 4-6’ tall as hardy annuals and cool season vegetables. Leafy heirlooms such as Purple Orach, produce into early summer with prolific growth, developing smooth burgundy-colored 2” leaves, similar to spinach. Your orach crop will reach ideal harvesting as their tender leaves grow and provide a less bitter flavor, before going to seed. Your fresh orach will also flourish in the warmer conditions and won’t bolt as early. By late summer to early fall, your Purple Orach plants will bloom small red flowers.
Culinary Uses for Purple Orach Vegetable Seed
Purple Orach, which is also called “Mountain Spinach” can be cooked as an alternative to spinach while providing a less bitter and more savory flavor similar to collard greens. You can also add fresh leaves of orach to salads, such as a feta, cranberry and vinaigrette salad.
Medicinal Uses for Purple Orach Vegetable Seed
The smooth 2” leaves of Purple Orach has been used as an herbal remedy to help aid anxiety and exhaustion. You can make a warm floral tea, which will help extract and provide the herbal properties of this heirloom plant.
Benefits of Growing Purple Orach Vegetable Seed
As an annual heirloom variety, Purple Orach Garden Vegetables can flourish in cool and warmer conditions, making it a longer-lasting summer plant that doesn’t bold as early. The smooth burgundy and green leaves that develop from this type of orach make a prolific ornamental addition to your vegetable garden! As one of the oldest grown crops, this leafy green plant will grow as a hardy vegetable that provides savory and fresh cooking options, with seeds that are easy to harvest.
Purple Orach Garden Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 7,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 28,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 112,000 Seeds
- 5 lbs - Approximately 560,000 Seeds