Growing White Sweet Spanish Onions Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Allium cepa
- Other Names: White onion, white sweet spanish
- Days to Maturity: 120 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-6
- Planting Depth: ¼”
- Plant Spacing: 3-4”
- Row Spacing: 12-18”
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Well-drained, moist
- Temp Preference: 60-75℉
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Onion thrips, aphids, and onion root maggots
- Color: White
- Flavor: Sweet and mild
White Sweet Spanish Onions Growth Habits:
Heirloom White Spanish Onions reach full maturity after 120 days. Onions can be planted in well-drained moist soil in the spring when temperatures reach 60-75 ℉ in northern gardens. Southern gardeners have more success planting this variety in the fall. Bulbs can reach over 3” in diameter. Growers know the onion is ready to harvest when upright green stalks start to fall over and yellow. As the onion is reaching full maturity scallions can be consumed as well.
Various Uses for White Sweet Spanish Onions:
White Sweet Spanish Onions have a mild and sweet flavor. Cooks love this particular onion because it is large, glistening, and easy to peel skins. The more common Yellow Spanish Onion has much more sharpness. So this is a great option for dishes that need a slight onion flavor like cream sauces and light broths.
White Sweet Spanish Onions Benefits:
Onions have numerous health benefits. Spanish onions contain cancer-fighting compounds linked to sulfur in onions. People with Diabetes have had success incorporating onions into their diet because onions are food that controls blood sugar. Because of their antimicrobial properties, onions are credited for fighting harmful ailments like E. Coli.
White Sweet Spanish Onions differ from Yellow Spanish Onions by being less sharp.
- 1 g - Approximately 300 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 8,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 28,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 112,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 560,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 2,800,000 Seeds