Nasturtium - Jewel Mix - Microgreens Seeds
- Latin Name: Tropaeolum majus
- Other Name(s): Capuchina, Indian Cress
- Presoak: 4-8 hours in warm water
- Preferred Growing Medium: Soil only
- Seeding Rate per 10"x 20" tray: 2 oz
- Blackout Time: 2-3 days
- Germination Time: 4-7 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 14-16 days
- Microgreen Color: light pink to yellow stems, dark green leaves
- Microgreen Flavor: spicy, similar to mustard and wasabi
- Microgreen Texture: succulent
- Nutrients: Vitamins A, B and C, calcium, potassium, antioxidants, fiber and copper
Soak nasturtium seeds in warm water for about 4 hours. This allows the seed to draw as much water as possible to begin the germinating process. Prepare soil bed by moistening it and tamping it. Spread seeds evenly across the surface and cover with a thin layer of soil—much like planting pea shoots. Water regularly and place under a grow light when seedling are poking through the soil layer. Allow enough time for nasturtium micro seedlings to produce 2 to 4 leaves before harvest. Also, start tasting your greens to mark the changes in flavor as it matures and determine when you like the flavor and appearance best. It's a good way to determine the best time to harvest.
Nasturtium shoots won't grow easily on hydroponic mediums. It is possible, though very difficult.
Dwarf varieties of nasturtium are preferred for growing microgreens, such as the Jewel Mix we offer here.
Seeds per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 225 seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 900 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 3,600 seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 18,000 seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 90,000 seeds