Growing Jewel Nasturtium Microgreens
- Latin Name: Tropaeolum majus
- Presoak: 4 hours
- Germ Time: 4 to 7 days
- Other Names:Nasturtium Shoots
- Days to Maturity: 10 to 16+ days
- Growth Medium: Soil—seed needs soil cover for successful growth.
- Color:Multiple colored stems, ranging from light pink to yellow
- Flavor: Surprisingly Spicy, similar to mustard spice and wasabi
- Nutrients: antioxidants, fiber, Vitamins A,C, and B-complex, calcium, potassium and copper
Seeds Per Package:
- 5 g - Approximately 40 Seeds
- 10 g - Approximately 80 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 225 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 900 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 3,600 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 18,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 90,000 Seeds
- 50 lb - Approximately 180,000 Seeds
Soak Natsurtium seeds in warm water for 2-4 hours. This allows the seed to draw water as much water as possible to begin the germinating process. Prepare soil bed by moistening it and tamping it. Spread seeds evenly across the surface and cover with a thin layer of soil—much like planting pea shoots. Water regularly and place under a grow light when seedling are poking through the soil layer. Allow enough time for nasturtium micro seedlings to produce 2 to 4 leaves before harvest. Also, start tasting your greens to mark the changes in flavor as it matures and determine when you like the flavor and appearence best. It's a good way to determine the best time to harvest for you.
Dwarf varieties of Nasturtium are preferred for growing microgreens, such as the Jewel Mix we offer here. Nasturtium Shoots won't grow easily on hydroponic mediums, of course, we believe it is possible, but we haven't had any luck so far.