Growing Red Tatsoi Mustard Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica Rapa - Narinosa Group
- Other Names: Chinese Flat Cabbage, rosette pakchoi, spoon mustard
- Days to Maturity: 40 - 60 days
- Planting Depth: 1/4” inch deep
- Plant Spacing: 1” apart and 18 - 24” between rows
- Growth Habit: 8 - 12” tall
- Soil Preference: Warm, well-drained soil
- Temp Preference: Cooler - Not Intended To Overwinter
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Pests/diseases: Aphid, whiteflies – row covers may be used
- Color: Dark green, spoon-shaped leaves
- Flavor: Sweet, crisp, and tangy
Red Tatsoi can be started indoors in warm well-drained soil, transferred to the outdoors, and planted half an inch deep and three feet apart, allowing the soil to dry out before watering. Red Tatsoi is a wonderful addition to the fall garden, overwintering in mild climates. Plant in late spring in full sun; grow undercover for early spring harvests in cold winter areas. Kale and spinach are great companions.
Additional Facts and Information
Mustard Red Tatsoi is available throughout the year and is adaptable to loamy and sandy soils. It flourishes best during spring and early summer. Health benefits include vitamins and antioxidants; powerful in Vitamins A, C, K, carotenoids, folate, calcium, potassium. Its versatility allows for cooking in many cuisines that use spinach, sea foods, meats, and numerous desserts. Flowers are edible and stunning for garnishing.