Growing Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold Cover Crop Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica juncea
- Common Names: Yellow Mustard, Brown Mustard, Indian Mustard, Vegetable Mustard
- Mighty Mustard Hardiness Zones: Annual cover crop zones 1-11 (not intended to overwinter)
- Days to Maturity: 35-40 days
- Mighty Mustard® Seeding Rate: 8 oz per 1000 sq. ft
- Seed Planting Depth: Broadcast directly and lightly rake and tamp into soil
- Pacific Gold Growth Habit: Heirloom Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold seeds mature into a 24-30" tall cover crop with a weedy, wildflower spread
- Mighty Mustard® Soil Benefits: Taproots loosen soil to improve tilth, drainage, and weed suppression while also rich in glucosinolates to aid in minimizing pesticide use, and converting nitrogen back into the soil
- Grow Temp Preference: 60-75° F
- Garden Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/Diseases/Troubleshooting: Non-GMO Brassica juncea is a hardy short-season cover crop with no serious pests or diseases, grown for its tolerance to extremes, and is often planted for its glucosinolate content which serves as an all-natural garden pest and insect repellent
- Color: Wildflower greens with a spread of classic golden yellow mustard blooms
- Mighty Mustard® Cover Crop Mow: If mulching back into soil, annual mustard cover crop is best if mowed down 6-8 weeks before planting new crop to allow glucosinolates time to fortify soil
About Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold Cover Crop Garden Seeds
Non-GMO Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold is a diverse short-season cover crop and can be seeded nearly anytime of year for a quick garden mulch and manure. Open-pollinated Pacific Gold mustard seeds are intended for full sun outdoor sowing, broadcast and lightly rake and tamp in nearly any type of garden soil in need to loosening or repair in full sun. Mustard seeds germinate in 5-12 days and mature into a 24-30" tall cover crop with a golden yellow weedy, wildflower spread. If mulching back into soil, annual mustard cover crop is best if mowed down 6-8 weeks before planting new crop to allow glucosinolates time to fortify soil. Non-GMO Brassica juncea is a hardy short-season cover crop with no serious pests or diseases, grown for its tolerance to extremes, and is often planted for its glucosinolate content which serves as an all-natural garden pest and insect repellent.
The Mighty Mustard® line of mustard cover crop seeds was developed by dedicated plant breeder and University of Idaho professor of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Dr. Jack Brown. Much like all of Dr. Brown's research, Mighty Mustard® was specifically cultivated to better assist the local environments with an even more robust and abundant cover crop, marked with a noticeable ability in preventing broadleaf weeds. Dr. Jack Brown is most notable for his work in reducing a dependency on crude oils, arguing that alternative fuels and biofuels, can be sustained from oilseed crops such as rapeseed and mustard seed.
Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold Benefits
Non-GMO Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold was specifically bred and cultivated to increase its ability as a cover crop. Not only can Pacific Gold mustard seeds be sown in the spring as a beneficial summertime companion plant, but are most popularly grown only to be mulched back into the soil as a rich source of season-long nitrogen. Pacific Gold mustard cover crop seeds are a safer, more reliable, source of nitrogen than store bought supplements and additives because there is no risk in burning roots with direct nitrogen contact. And like Daikon radish, Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold seeds develop a deep taproot to break up hardened soils in overgrown and uncultivated grow spaces.
Wholesale Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold Cover Crop Seeds Per Package:
- 4 oz - Wholesale Seeds - Approximately 45,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Wholesale Seeds - Approximately 180,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 900,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Bulk Seeds - Approximately 4,500,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Mighty Mustard® Pacific Gold cover crop seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.