Sweet Marjoram Herb Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Origanum majorana
- Days to Maturity: 60+(leaves) 90+(flowers, seeds) Perennial
- Hardiness Zones: 3-9
- Seed Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Seed Plant Spacing: 18-24”
- Growth Habit: Upright/multi-branching/bush-like
- Soil Preference: Rich, loose and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warm to cool
- Light Preference: Full sun to partial shade
- Pests/Diseases: Aphids, spider mites, root rot
- Color: Oval sage-green leaves, knotted pink-to-white flowers
- Flavor: Aromatic, sweet, hints of citrus, minty similar to pine
Marjoram Herb Growing Habits
Non-GMO (Origanum majorana) Marjoram grows as a tender perennial herb with bush-like growth reaching 1-2’ tall. As a mint family member and relative to oregano, Marjoram plants develop a minty flavor similar to pine. This multi-branching herb variety blooms throughout summer, but can mature in cooler conditions. Once marjoram reaches maturity, stems will change from red to deep-green as a semi-woody plant. Sweet Marjoram produces knots of pink-to-white flower buds—giving off a citrusy aroma. Knotted Marjoram continues growing throughout the summer, before it goes to seed and overwinters in warmer climates.
The Various Seasoning & Culinary Uses of Marjoram Garden Herb
As a member of the mint family that’s often called “Knotted Marjoram” with flowers and sage-green leaves, Marjoram is popular for its aroma with hints of pine. As a relative to oregano, Marjoram is often used in Middle Eastern cuisine as a sweet and minty seasoning that compliments many dishes. From fresh to dried Marjoram, its leaves and flowers are made into Za’atar—as a rich spice blend or added to flavor gyro bowls, cooked with savory roasted carrots and sprinkled into a Mediterranean stew.
The Companion Planting Benefits of Growing Marjoram Herb & Seed
As a tender perennial and aromatic herb, Marjoram boosts the development of neighboring plants and vegetables such as sage, chamomile, thyme, basil, corn or potatoes! As a hardy companion plant that is often grown as an annual herb in cooler climates, Marjoram is packed with rich antioxidants and nutritional benefits that help regulate hormone cycles for women and can decrease inflammation.
Marjoram Garden Herb Seeds Per Package:
- 500 mg - Approximately 2,000 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 125,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 500,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 2,000,600 Seeds