Growing Non-GMO Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Lettuce Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: Lactuca sativa
- Lettuce Type: Romaine
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 2-10
- Days to Maturity: 20-65
- Days to Germination: 3-10
- Seeding Depth: 1/8"
- Plant Spacing: 9-12"
- Row Spacing: 12-15"
- Plant Height: 6-12"
- Growth Habit: Leafy mound
- Soil Preference: Nitrogen-rich, composted, well-drained
- Temperature Preference: 55-70 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests and Diseases: Susceptible to mildew, rot, and leaf spotting from soils if not properly drained and ventilated. Watch for aphids, whiteflies, and leafminers.
- Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Color: Green hearts with reddish-bronze tinted leaves.
- Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Flavor: Rich, buttery flavor
How to Grow Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Lettuce from Seed
Rouge D'Hiver Romaine is a cool hardy favorite performing just as vigorously when sown direct as when transplanted. For earliest starts, begin indoors 4-6 weeks before final frost. Plant 2-3 seeds 1/8" deep and 2" apart in organically rich, well-drained soil in full sun to partial shade. Germinates in 7-10 days, thinning back to 1 plant every 4 in the garden. Harvest large outer leaves while allowing smaller leaves to continue to mature.
Make sure to allow enough space between seeds for the lettuce to grow, as overcrowding can cause the lettuce to have a bitter taste. Firm the soil lightly. While growing, keep the soil well watered. Harvest between 20 and 65 days after planting, and before flowers appear, to ensure the lettuce doesn't become too mature.
Romaine Lettuce in the Vegetable Garden
Lettuce is one of the most versatile seeds in the world as it is a choice variety for sprouting, microgreens, hydroponics, aquaponics, and indoor container gardening. Quick to maturity and easy to grow anywhere, countless varieties of lettuce have been specifically cultivated to thrive from cold northern gardens all the way down to the desolate Arizona heat.
Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Lettuce is an annual, and it grows best in cooler areas. Although it is frost tolerant, it is intolerant of heat and is best grown for late season harvest. In warm climates it can be planted in the late summer for fall harvest. This lettuce is great for salad, and the leaves can be picked when small as baby greens or later in the season for larger, firmer leaves.
Harvesting Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Lettuce
Most varieties of lettuce can be harvested 45-60 days after sowing or once the younger outer leaves have reached 4-5” long as a “cut and come again” crop. Harvest in the morning, by cutting off at ground level. If regrowth is desired, cut the leaves higher, at 2". For a continual supply, outer, individual leaves can be harvested at any stage of maturity, but leave at least half of the plant for regrowth.
Garden fresh lettuce stores well cold in a plastic bag for 7-10 days. Do not store near apples or bananas.
Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Lettuce Seeds Per Package:
- 1 g - Packet - Approx 988 Seeds
- 1 oz- Wholesale - Approx 28,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Wholesale - Approx 112,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Wholesale - Approx 488,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk - Approx 2,440,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Rouge D'Hiver Romaine Lettuce seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.