Growing Kagraner Sommer Lettuce Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Lactuca sativa
- Other Names: Kagran Summer Lettuce
- Days to Maturity: 58 days
- Hardiness Zone: Annual, not intended for overwintering. Suitable for all USDA hardiness zones.
- Planting Depth: 1/8”
- Plant Spacing: 12”
- Row Spacing: 1-1/2’
- Growth Habit: Butterhead-type lettuce with a loose head of tender, buttery leaves
- Soil Preference: Cool, moist, well-drained, loose soil with a pH of 6.2 to 6.8
- Temp Preference: Cool weather; adapted to slow bolting in midsummer heat
- Light Preference: Full sun, partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Aphids, leafminers, leafhoppers, cabbage loopers, cutworms, wireworms, slugs, damping off, downy mildew, mosaic, Fusarium
- Color: Light green leaves
- Flavor: Buttery
Heirloom Kagraner Sommer Lettuce Growth Habits:
Kagraner Sommer butterhead lettuce grows in a loose head of tender, pale green leaves that reach a height of between 5" and 10".
Lettuce seeds can be directly sown in the garden, or started indoors 3 to 4 weeks before transplanting. Sow approximately 1/8" deep, or just under the soil surface, as lettuce seeds require light exposure for germination. Plant or sow in rows that are 1-1/2' apart and transplant or thin seedlings to 12" apart.
Because Kagraner Sommer lettuce has a shallow root system and takes up very little space, it is one of the best crops to grow in raised beds and containers. Be sure to water consistently but provide well-draining soil to prevent disease.
Various Uses for Non-GMO Kagraner Sommer Lettuce:
The tender leaves of Kagraner Sommer butterhead lettuce offer a buttery texture and mild flavor that is perfect for fresh salad. The leaves are also a delicious addition to sandwiches and burgers.
Kagraner Sommer Heirloom Lettuce Benefits:
Kagraner Sommer lettuce is slow to bolt, even during the heat of midsummer, making it easy to grow continuously as a succession crop throughout the growing season. Butterhead lettuces are generally a good source of vitamin A, vitamin K, folate, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals. In addition, Kagraner Sommer heirloom lettuce can help with hydration and help keep the digestive system healthy.
Kagranger Sommer butterhead lettuce has a mild and buttery flavor. It originates from Germany, and is slow bolting. Heads are light green and medium sized. They grow to be 5-10” tall. Seeds can be sown indoors or directly ½” deep in fertile and sandy soil. After 15 days, transplant or thin seedlings to be 12” apart in rows 18” apart in full sun. Plant in the spring or fall. Be sure to keep soil moist especially until germination. For harvesting, pick leaves individually or cut the whole head 1” above the soil surface to promote regrowth. Leaves are great in salads and sandwiches.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 g - Approximately 900 Seeds
- 0.25 oz - Approximately 6,250 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 25,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 100,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 400,000 Seeds