Growing Ruby Red Leaf Lettuce Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Lactuca sativa
- Other Names: Red Leaf Lettuce
- Days to Maturity: 35-45 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 1/8”
- Plant Spacing: 8-10”
- Row Spacing: 1’
- Growth Habit: Mound
- Soil Preference: Moist, well-draining
- Temp Preference: 45-90℉
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Lettuce that is crowded while growing will have a bitter taste. Susceptible to aphids and slugs.
- Color: Red and Bronze shades among green.
- Flavor: Mildly sweet
Ruby Red Leaf Lettuce Growth Habits:
Start by sowing the non-GMO seeds 1/8 inch in soil, eight to ten inches apart, in rows twelve inches apart. Ensure enough space between seeds for the lettuce to grow, as overcrowding can cause the lettuce to have a bitter taste. Firm the soil lightly. While growing, keep the soil well-watered. Harvest 35 to 45 days after planting.
Various Uses for Ruby Red Leaf Lettuce:
Ruby Red Lead Lettuce is a delicious addition to a salad. Toss it with some olive oil and champagne vinegar to highlight a mildly sweet taste. Top with a poached egg, salt, and pepper with crusty bread to make it a complete meal.
Ruby Red Leaf Lettuce Benefits:
Lettuce is low in calories, but high in nutrition. A diet rich in greens leads to many health benefits. Lettuce is high in iron, folate, vitamin C, and fiber. Eating lettuce is a great alternative to carbohydrates, and can lower blood sugar.
Give your lettuce room to grow. Lettuce that is crowded will have a bitter taste.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 6,800 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 27,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 108,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 544,000 Seeds