Growing Vaes Blue Scotch Curled Kale Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea var. acephala
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 60 days
- Hardiness Zone: All
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 18-24"
- Row Spacing: 2'
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Moist, rich in nutrients. PH level between 6.5 and 6.8
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full or partial sun
- Diseases/pests/problems: Over watering can cause damage to the plant. Susceptible to cabbageworms, slugs, grasshoppers and aphids.
- Color:Dark Green
- Flavor:Green, sweet flavor
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 8,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 32,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 128,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 640,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 3,200,000 Seeds
Non-GMO Vates Blue Scotch Curled Kale seeds can be grown in all grow zones, with full or partial sun. Directly sow the seeds one fourth of an inch deep in moist, rich soil, with a pH level between 6.5 and 6.8. Space the seeds eighteen to twenty four inches apart, with two feet between rows. While growing, the soil must be kept moist, but care must be taken to not over water the plants. The outer leaves can be harvested sixty days after sowing. Continuous harvesting is possible if the bud is kept intact.
Vates Blue Curled Kale (Brassica oleracea var acephala) is a highly nutritious plant, and part of the cabbage family. It’s more compact than other kale varieties. It will over winter in most zones, but can be planted in in the spring or the fall. Frost actually improves the flavor as kale prefers a cooler environment. Water well during hotter months. Kale is versatile, and can be made into crunchy kale chips, added to soups and stews, cooked by itself, and is a delicious addition to salads. Believe it or not, the bitter flavor is lessened when the leaves are gently massaged just before eating or adding to recipes. Kale can be continually harvested for a few weeks if outer leaves are harvested and the center bud is left intact.