Italian Dandelion (Chicory) Herb Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cichorium intybus
- Days to Maturity: 20+(baby leaves, flowers) 65+(roots) Perennial
- Hardiness Zones: 3-9
- Seed Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Seed Plant Spacing: 12-18”
- Growth Habit: Upright/loose-leaf
- Soil Preference: Rich, slightly acidic and well-drained
- Temp Preference: Cool
- Light Preference: Full sun to partial shade
- Color: Serrated forest-green leaves and stems, paisley flowers
- Flavor: verdant greens similar to chicory, nectar-sweet flowers
True (Wild) Dandelion Herb Growing Habits
Non-GMO (Taraxacum officinale) Italian (Chicory) Dandelion plants grow as vigorous tender perennials. As heirlooms, chicory will develop upright and reach 2-5’ tall. Chicory herbs as Italian Dandelion loose-leaf varieties begin producing baby greens that should be picked early in the season. Once chicory reaches full maturity, it grows forest-green serrated leaves, with nectar-sweet paisley flowers by late spring or fall. Next year, your nutrient-rich dandelion roots will be ready. As your region has its first frost, dandelion herbs die back, keeping their roots overwinter.
The Brief History of Italian (Chicory) Dandelion Garden Herb
Italian Dandelions are not technically dandelions but are a family member of the loose-leaf chicory family. As these vigorous and tender perennial herbs come from Italy, Italian Dandelions original name was “Cicoria” which over time became associated with these green cool-season dandelions.
The Health Benefits of Italian Dandelion (Chicory) Herb & Seed
These verdant chicory herbs are rich in iron, essential vitamins, magnesium and noted as an all-around health powerhouse. When it comes to antioxidants, Italian Dandelions provide eight times more than other leafy greens like spinach—according to Jo Robinson from her book Eating on the Wild Side.
Italian Dandelion (Chicory) Garden Herb Seeds Per Package:
- 1 g - Approximately 700 Seeds
- 1/4 oz - Approximately 5,000 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 20,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 80,000 Seeds