Growing Luffa Sponge Gourds Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Luffa aegyptica syn l. cylindrica
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 100+ days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 6'
- Row Spacing: 8'
- Growth Habit: Vine
- Soil Preference: Rich, organic soil with a pH between 5 and 7.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to rot and mildew
Luffa Gourd seeds can be sown indoors two to four weeks before the last frost, and transplanted after four weeks. When sowing outside, plant the Luffa Gourd seeds one inch deep in moist soil, six feet between seeds. While growing, be sure not to overwater, as doing so can cause rot and mildew to spread throughout the vine. When the gourds are ready to be harvested, the stems will turn yellow and can be cut off the vine.