Growing Dipper Long Handle Gourds Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: lagenaria siceraria
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 100+ days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 1-3'
- Row Spacing: 8'
- Growth Habit: Vine
- Soil Preference: Well-drained soil with a pH between 6 and 7.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to rot and mildew
- Color: Green
- Flavor: N/A
Seeds Per Package:
- 2 g - Approximately 20 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 200 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 1,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 4,000 Seeds
Dipper Long Handle Gourd seeds can be sown indoors three weeks before the last frost, and transplanted after three weeks. When it comes time to transplant outside, harden off the plants during a period of four to seven days, then plant one inch deep with one and a half to three feet between plants. While growing, be sure not to overwater, as doing so can cause rot and mildew to spread throughout the vine. When the gourds are ready to be harvested, the stems will turn yellow and can be cut off the vine.