Growing Salad King Endive Vegetable Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Cichorium endivia
- Other Names: Salad King, Chicory
- Days to Maturity: 50-100 days
- Hardiness Zone: All zones in U.S.
- Planting Depth: 1/4”
- Plant Spacing: 18”
- Row Spacing: 1’
- Growth Habit: Upright spreading
- Soil Preference: Moist, well- draining
- Temp Preference: 55-65℉
- Light Preference: Full sun
- Pests/diseases: Harvest ant, flea beetle, aphid
- Color: Dark green, pale green
- Flavor: Bitter, nutty
Salad King Endive Growth Habits:
Salad King Endive is ready in 50- 100 days, and it can be planted when frost is still occurring in the Spring. Heads are 22-24” wide and 12” tall with tightly curled dark green leaves with white ribs. Plant seeds ¼” deep in full sunlight with rows 12” apart and plants 18” apart. It will tolerate frost and some hot weather, but it does prefer cooler temperatures. Pull endive plant from the soil when it is ready for harvest, and then chop off roofs. The root can be used for the forcing process.
Various Uses for Salad King Endive:
Salad King Endive makes salads the king of dinner. Due to its nutty and bitter taste, Salad King is a great addition to a sweet salad. Try pairing it with apples, pears, honey, nuts, and cheese. Endive can also be braised in butter and squeezed with lemon as a hot dish. Endive is a great way to add gourmet ingredients to the colder months.
Salad King Endive Benefits:
Salad King Endive has many health benefits while being a low calorie food. It is great for lowering blood pressure, preventing anemia, cntributing to healthy pregnancies, and regulating blood sugar. Endive has also been found to prevent cavities due to Vitamin A consumption.
Salad King Endive is best known for its vigorous and uniform growth.
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 oz - Approximately 11,200 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 44,800 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 179,200 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 896,000 Seeds