Growing Green Curled Ruffec Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Solanum melongena
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 90-100 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 9"
- Row Spacing: 1'
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Rich, organic soil with a pH between 5 and 7.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: No major pest or disease problems with Endive
- Flavor:Bitter when raw, but mildly sweet when cooked
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 g- Approximately 900 Seeds
- 1 oz- Approximately 25,000 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 100,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 400,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 2,000,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 10,000,000 Seeds
If sowing indoors, sow two months before the last average frost in the spring. Sow the seeds 1/4 inch deep in soil, and transplant outside after four weeks. If sowing directly outdoors, scatter the seeds directly onto watered soil and cover with 1/3 inch of soil. When the Endive crops start to emerge, thin them to about twelve inches. While growing, the soil should be kept moist. Blanching is optional and the inner parts of the plant can be shaded by tying the outer leaves together. When ready to harvest, you may cut off leaves individually. For continuous growing, leave an inch of the stem intact.