Growing Kandy Korn (se) Hybrid Garden Seeds
- Taxonomy: Zea mays
- Days to Maturity: 80-90 days
- Days to Germination: 7-14
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 3-10
- Planting Depth: 1-2"
- Plant Spacing: 12"
- Row Spacing: 12"
- Growth Habit: Upright stalk
- Soil Preference: Loose, loamy, organic, well-drained
- Temp Preference: Warmer, 75-90 °F
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/Pests: No serious pests but watch for aphids, flea beetles, and thrips. Water soil directly to avoid saturating stalks.
- Color: 100% all-yellow sweet kernels
Seeds Per Package:
- 20 g - Approximately 100 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 600 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 2,400 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 12,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 60,000 Seeds
How to Grow Kandy Korn from Seed
Corn is a hardy full sun grass performing best when sown directly outdoors after the final spring frost. Plant 2-3 seeds 1-2” deep and 3-4” apart in loose, organically rich, well-drained soil with a pH of 5.8-6.2. Germinates in 7-14 days, thinning out best starts to every 12” once true leaves establish. Avoid overhead watering by watering soil directly. To prevent cross-pollination from altering a corn crop, keep like varieties with like varieties (SU with SU, SE with SE, SH2 with SH2, and ORNAMENTAL with ORNAMENTAL). Check individual seed packet to know whether a variety is Sugary (SU), Sugary Enhanced (SE), Supersweet (SH2), or Ornamental.
Most varieties of corn are ready to harvest about 75 days from sowing. Unlike other garden favorites, corn only fruits once. Ears are ripe once they turn dark green, silks become brown, and kernels are plump. Test ripeness by squeezing kernels for a milk-like juice. To harvest, firmly pull the ear downwards while twisting.
About Kandy Korn Hybrid Corn Seeds
- Sugary Enhancer Hybrid (SE) means this variety will stay sweet and tender for 9-14 days after reaching maturity.
- Kandy Korn is a bit of legend for its outstanding flavor and high sugar content.
- 8" ears with 16-20 rows and held high on 8 foot burgundy colored stalks.
- Kandy Korn has a long late harvest perfect for fresh eating or freezing.
- If you really wanted corn all summer you should plant Xtra Early Sweet and Kandy Korn.
- No need to isolate from other sweet corn, but remember for good pollination always plant corn in blocks
Golden and delicious ears that mature as early as 85 days, the Kandy Korn Hybrid is truly one of the best-tasting treasures to spring from the summer garden. Kandy Korn is a Sugary Enhanced (se) crop that reliably produces 8" ears lined with 16-20 rows, brimming from 8-foot tall burgundy stalks. As a Sugary Enhanced (se) variety, the Kandy Korn hybrid is the result of crossing the best and sweetest yellow cultivars, producing the golden buttery yellow Kandy Korn ears that are the closest thing to candy you're gonna harvest from the garden.
Sugary Enhanced Sweet Corn (se)
- 16-18% sugar content
- Medium productivity and harvest
- Best if enjoyed within 3-5 days
Most commercial and store-bought ears of corn are likely a type of sugary enhanced (se) because they boast a higher 16-18% sugar content which is directly responsible for their longer shelf life. While sugary enhanced (se) types still convert their sugars to bitter starch, the process takes several days longer than normal sugary (su) varieties simply because there is more sugar to convert. Sugary enhanced (se) corn is the resulting hybrid from preferred (su) and (se) types and sometimes is designated with a (se+) if both parents are sugary enhanced. Like most varieties of corn, sugary enhanced (se) generally is ready to harvest in about 90 days and can be started as late as 90 days from the first frost.
Check out this article about the evolution of corn.