Growing Ornamental Indian Corn Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: zea mays
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 110 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-11
- Planting Depth: 1-2"
- Plant Spacing: 4"
- Row Spacing: 30"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Moist and well drained, temp of 55 to 65 F, pH 6 to 7
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to corn wireworms, cutworms, and fungal diseases
- Color:Rainbow colored kernals
- Flavor: Sweet
Seeds Per Package:
- 10 g - Approximately 50 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 2,400 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 12,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 60,000 Seeds
Begin by sowing directly outdoors, 1 1/2 inches deep with four inches between seeds and thirty inches between rows. When choosing a site in your garden, keep the sun in mind; these tall stalks have potential to block the sunlight from other plants. While growing, the crops will need one to one and a half inches of water. When the kernels are firm, the ear is ripe. To harvest, firmly pull the ear downwards while twisting. The unhusked ears can be kept in the fridge for up to one week.