Chia (Organic) - Microgreens Seeds
- Latin Name: Salvia hispanica
- Other Name(s):
- Presoak: No Soak
- Preferred Growing Medium: Soil or Hydroponic
- Seeding Rate per 10"x 20" tray: 1 oz
- Blackout Time: 2-4 days
- Germination Time: 2-3 days
- Estimated time to Harvest: 8-12 days
- Microgreen Color: green
- Microgreen Flavor: mild bitterness
- Microgreen Texture: soft
- Nutrients: Omega oils, antioxidants, amino acids and proteins
Chia needs to be kept damp, so mist the seeds regularly every 12 hours. Chia microgreens are amazingly easy to grow and develop into a beautiful soft canopy with a pleasant smell. Chia greens are very small so harvest close to the soil line for maximum yield. ***Note: Although we have indicated the specific medium that this particular seed prefers, you can still experiment with either soil or hydroponic mediums. Results may vary.
Chia is actually a member of the mint family and is native to hot, dry climates.
Chia is what is called a mucilaginous seed, meaning it develops a mucus membrane around itself when it comes into contact with water. Being native to hot and dry climates, chia has develped this defense mechanism of forming mucus as a way to ensure consistent moisture during germination. In temperate climates chia needs less water than other plants, due to this. The "mucus" effect is also what makes it able to stick to terracotta objects.
Seeds per Package:
- 4 oz - Approximately 88,400 seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 353,000 seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 1,768,000 seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 8,840,000 seeds