Growing Lunar White Carrot Garden Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: daucus carota subsp. Sativus
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 65-80 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: ½"
- Plant Spacing: 4"
- Row Spacing: 9-16"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Light, well drained, sandy soil, pH of 6 to 7
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to weevils and carrot rust fly
- Color: Red
- Flavor: Sweet and tender
Start by sowing the seeds directly outdoors; transplanting from indoors can cause weak and crooked roots. Plant the seeds half an inch deep in sandy soil, as soon as it can be worked. The soil should have a pH level between six and seven. You will want to leave four inches between the plants and nine to sixteen inches between rows. While growing, the crops will need one inch of water each week. After seventy days, the Red carrots will be ready to be harvested. If you would like to make picking the roots easier, you can soak their bed with water when it’s time to harvest.
Read this article on the health benefits of Carrots.