Growing Rainbow Blend Carrot Garden Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: daucus carota subsp. Sativus
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 65-75 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-11
- Planting Depth: ½"
- Plant Spacing: 1-2"
- Row Spacing: 18-24"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Sandy soil, temperature 55 to 75 degrees, pH of 6 to 7
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Susceptible to weevils and carrot rust fly
- Color: Red, purple, white and red
- Flavor: Sweet and tender
Start by sowing the seeds directly outdoors; transplanting from indoors can cause weak and crooked roots. Plant the seeds half an inch deep in sandy soil, as soon as it can be worked. The soil should have a temperature of fifty five to seventy five degrees and a pH level of six to seven. You will want to leave one to two inches between the plants and eighteen to twenty four inches between rows. While growing, the crops will need one inch of water each week. After about seventy days, the Rainbow Blend carrots will be ready to be harvested. If you would like to make picking the roots easier, you can soak their bed with water when it’s time to harvest.
Read this article on the health benefits of Carrots.