Growing Organic Red Acre Cabbage Vegetable Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea var. capitata
- Other Names: Red Express Cabbage
- Hardiness Zone: Annual 2-11
- Days to Maturity: 90-110
- Days to Germination: 4-10
- Seeding Depth: 1/4"
- Plant Spacing: 18-24"
- Row Spacing: 24"
- Plant Height: 12-30"
- Growth Habit: Headed leafy mound
- Soil Preference: Moist, fertile, composted, well-drained
- Temperature Preference: 55-75 °F
- Light Preference: Full sun - partial shade
- Pests and Diseases: No serious diseases but monitor regularly for cabbage worms, flea beetles, thrips, slugs, and aphids.
- Red Acre Cabbage Color: Dark red and purple, nearly black, leaves and head
- Red Acre Cabbage Flavor: Crunchy, sweet, and slightly bitter
How to Grow Organic Red Acre Cabbage from Seed
Organic red acre cabbage is a cool weather crop able to be planted multiple times throughout the season for successive year-round harvests. Cabbage seeds perform best when started indoors 6-8 weeks prior to final spring frost or 6-8 weeks before first autumn frost.
Plant 2-3 organic Red Acre seeds 1/4” deep per cell or peat pot in organically rich, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0. Cabbage seeds germinate in 5-12 days, transplanting strongest starts every 18-24” in the garden once true leaves establish. Cabbage requires regular moisture during vegetative growth to keep heads from splitting before harvest. Plants are heavy feeders and thrive from rich garden composting and routine fertilizing.
Organic Red Acre Cabbage in the Vegetable Garden
Cabbage is often mistakenly thought to be one of the more intimidating, difficult vegetable crops to try as a home gardener because of its preference for colder, more northern gardens. Despite the slander, cabbage is a Brassica no more challenging to grow than kale, broccoli, or collards. Whether as a garden crop or flowering ornamental variety, cabbage is available anywhere from rich burgundy to a familiar pale green and easy enough to grow for anyone willing to try.
Harvesting Organic Red Acre Cabbage
Depending on the specific cultivar and when sown in the season, most varieties of cabbage are ready to harvest at about 100 days from sowing or when heads are firm with a diameter of about 5-7”. Some varieties may overwinter, requiring more than 120 days for harvesting. Using a knife, cut heads at the base and remove yellow leaves from the cut head, keeping healthy loose green leaves attached which help protect cabbage heads during storage.
After between 90 and 110 days, the heads are ready for harvest. To harvest, remove the root with the head so that it doesn’t rot or cause disease in the soil.
About Organic Red Acre Cabbage Seeds
Brassica oleracea var. capitata (90-110 days). AKA: Red Express Cabbage
Organic Red Acre Cabbage is the earliest developing red cabbage we carry.
We have been very impressed with it in our 2010 cabbage trials.
It is very uniform, tight and has an amazing purple color.
Medium sized organic cabbage that can be spaced much closer than other varieties.
2-4 pound heads are great for slaw, stir fry or salads.
Organic Red Acre Cabbage Seeds Per Package:
- 4 g - Packet - Approximately 950 Seeds
- 1 oz- Wholesale - Approximately 6,750 Seeds
- 4 oz - Wholesale - Approximately 27,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Wholesale - Approximately 108,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Bulk - Approximately 544,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Bulk - Approximately 2,720,000 Seeds
Non-GMO organic Red Acre cabbage seeds are available for Fast Free Shipping on orders over $45.