Growing Golden Acre Cabbage Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: brassica oleracea var. capitata
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 65 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: ¼”
- Plant Spacing: 1-2’
- Row Spacing: 3’
- Growth Habit: Mound
- Soil Preference: Composted soil with ph level between 6 and 7.5
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: full to partial sun
- Pests/diseases: The Golden Acre variety is resistant to yellowing diseases.
- Color: Blue-green
- Flavor: Sweet
This variety of cabbage can be sown directly outdoors, but in many climates, it is recommended to start them indoors and transplant later on. When transplanting, be sure to harden off the plants throughout an eight-day period. Seeds should be sown in either full or partial sun with about ¼” of moist and composted soil packed on top of them. Keep plants about 1-2 feet apart and lay them in rows 3 feet apart. Water each seed with about two inches of water throughout each week. The heads should begin to firm up at around 65 days, and when this happens, they are ready for harvest. Each head will be between 5 and 7 inches in diameter. To harvest them, remove the root and stem from the ground with the head. This will ensure that your soil stays healthy afterward.
Check out this study by Medical News Today about the health benefits of cabbage.
Seeds Per Package:
- 4 g - Approximately 950 Seeds
- 1 oz - Approximately 6,800 Seeds
- 4 oz - Approximately 27,000 Seeds
- 1 lb - Approximately 108,000 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 544,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 2,720,000 Seeds