Growing Masai Bean Seeds
- Latin Name: phaseolus vulgaris
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 47 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-12
- Planting Depth: 1"
- Plant Spacing: 4-6"
- Row Spacing: 18-24"
- Growth Habit: Mound/bush
- Soil Preference: Well-draining soil, above 60 degrees
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun is required.
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to common bean mosaic virus and rust
- Color: Green
- Flavor: very tender texture
Seeds Per Package:
- 1 lb - Approximately 1,400 Seeds
- 5 lb - Approximately 7,000 Seeds
- 25 lb - Approximately 35,000 Seeds
Seeds can be planted one week after the last frost, in weather above sixty degrees. Sow the seeds one inch deep, with a space of four to six inches between plants. When watering, take care not to get the leaves wet, as this can spread diseases throughout the plant. After forty seven days, the mature pods can be harvested. Mature pods can be identified appearing dried and withered, and they will be able to be snapped off the plant easily.