Growing White Detroit Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: beta vulgaris
- Other Names:
- Days to Maturity: 55 days
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Planting Depth: 1/2"
- Plant Spacing: 3"
- Row Spacing: 12-18"
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Soil Preference: Light, moist soil, 6.5 to 7 ph. Can do well in poor soils.
- Temp Preference: Warmer
- Light Preference: Full sun or partial shade
- Pests/diseases: Susceptible to fungal leaf spots, powdery mildew, aphids and caterpillars.
- Color:White with light green stems
- Flavor: Sweet
Start with a light, moist soil, ideally with a PH level of 6.5 to 7. Sow the seeds half an inch deep, with three inches between plants and twelve to eighteen inches between rows. These seeds will need plenty of moisture while germinating, so keep the soil moist for the first twenty one days. These beets can thrive in conditions with full sun or partial shade. After fifty five days, the beets should be ready for harvesting.